Monday, November 03, 2008

Joy in my heart, tears in my eyes

"Ah Mun!!!! Go and switch on the lights!" [or insert any other mundane household chore]

I will miss being able to do that. My little sister got married over the weekend and will be moving a good 5.5-hour flight away to Perth.

Even though I am not living in KL myself, it was wonderful to be able to just go back and voila! she's there. Now we have to plan months in advance so that we can meet up. Call me selfish, but she's just such a fixture at home. And no one will feel that more acutely than Mom. But that's another drama for another time.

In any case, the big day came and everything went perfectly, from the games to the banquet to the photos to the people. I was beaming with so much pride and joy, and was enjoying everything so much, I forgot to take pictures with the bride and groom, and with our family. I am still kicking myself two days later.

We all know that Keon is a wonderful man (albeit with bad hair) who will give her the happiness she deserves. We all know that she has joined a warm and fun-loving extended family who have already taken her in as their own daughter years ago. We know she is going places and meeting new people, and growing more confident with her place in the world. But to us, she will always be our gap-toothed, pig-tailed baby sister. And we will sorely miss her laughter, her sense of humour, her stories, and her running our little errands...

Now I have to nurse my bloated red eyes, raw nose, and headache...

1 comment:

Mamapumpkin said...

Awwwww.......

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...