Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Renewing Passport at the Malaysian High Comm

I am writing this down so that hopefully 5 years later when I go through the whole ordeal again, I will remember why we should only have to go through this once every 5 years.


1. Download the application form from the Malaysian High Commission website.

2. Prepare all the documents according to notes found on website. Include photocopy of Singapore IC.

3. Arrive at High Commission by 7am to pick up your queue number from the security post. I arrived at 7:25am this morning and there were at least 30 people already in the queue. The submission of forms begins at 8am.

4. Proceed into Immigration hall.

5. If you have not brought photos, get a queue number from the guy who mans the instant photo booth. Cost is S$6 in either notes or coins. I recommend to bring lots of S$1 coins.

6. Photocopies cost 30 cents if you forgot to bring any.

7. At about 7:55am, someone will start hustling people to queue in front of Counter 1 according to their queue numbers.

8. The purpose of this counter is simply to check that your documentations are complete. The (very rude & impatient) lady behind Counter 1 will issue you with another queue number after being satisfied that your questions and pleasantries have been thoroughly ignored.

9. You will also be asked to write your Singapore address & phone number at the bottom of the form. But I won't recommend doing this unless being instructed to do so, since I expect they change their practice every now and then depending on the phase of the moon.

1o. Sit down and wait for your new queue number to be called.

11. Submit all documentations when called.

12. Proceed to payment counter with exact change in cash. The amount today was S$128. This changes apparently with changes in exchange rates. It was a good thing that I hoarded all the small change I could find in the past week in preparation for this visit. Imagine going through steps 1-11 and finding out that you do not have exact change...

13. If you are lucky, you will get to see all the wonderful people at the High Comm again in the same afternoon to pick up your brand new passport.

14. Surrender your security queue number at the security post when you leave. Despite what my husband says, you cannot keep the queue number for collection in the same afternoon.

15. Keep fingers crossed that your new passport will be issued correctly at the appointed time.

The advantage of doing this while I'm pregnant is that I could get a "special pass" which are also issued to the elderly, and other needy people who cannot take the stress of dealing with Malaysian High Comm staff (hmm....). You have to specifically ask for them at the security post, though. So I was catapulted from a normal pass No. I039 to special pass No. E002. I waltzed straight to the start of the queue, to the indignation of everyone behind me.

The disadvantage of doing this while I'm pregnant is that my Rudolph-worthy red swollen nose is now immortalised for 5 years in my passport.

2 comments:

Steven Lok said...

Wahkakaka... but this is a breeze compared to what Valin and I had to go thru when applying for her social visa back in M'sia.

All gov. agencies are crap.

Mamapumpkin said...

Hahaha.....thanks for this. Sounds like an ordeal, alright!

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...