Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Birthday!

YL is super busy these days jet-setting as if he's trying to live the fantasy of being a corporate high flyer, and will be away on Sophie's 5th birthday, so we had an early celebration for her at her school today.

I decided cupcakes will be a nice deviation from the usual butter/flour/ice-cream cakes, and ordered some in an animal theme. The Cantonese have a saying, "hou tai, mm hou sik" (nice to see, not nice to eat), so I didn't expect much from this batch. It turned out pretty decent. Or maybe I was just famish from skipping breakfast & lunch. I hid in a corner of the school and gobble one up when the kids were done and had gone off to their next activity.

Baba, who also did not have breakfast or lunch, literally shoved one down his throat in less time it took my camera to fire up to take a shot of him doing it. [Yes, I didn't get the shot in time.]

Aah...life in hectic sunny Singapore...

Getting ready for the birthday song

She reminded me in the morning, to "remember to bring Didi" to her party. It's perplexing how she loves to show him off in public, but avoids him at home.

Sophie giving out the activity book to her classmates.

Sophie often brings home goodie bags from birthday parties at school filled with sweets and junk food which goes straight to the bin, because, firstly, one have no choice but to be selective with food these days, and secondly, Sophie has inherited her father's discerning taste buds so she actually doesn't eat them.

So we wanted to make things as simple as possible - cakes for all, an organic lolly each, a packet of Milo/Vitasoy, a mini Cornetto, an activity book each, and a short, sweet birthday song to top it all off. What more can a 5-year old ask for??

1 comment:

Choo-er said...

Lovely cupcakes :)

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...