Sunday, September 04, 2011

6 down, 15 more to go

These days I often catch myself staring at Sophie and thinking to myself, "My God (!), is this really my baby girl?"  She has morphed into such a grown-up, with grown-up mannerisms and expressions (learned from YL & I, unfortunately), and just so....BIG.  In my head, it seems like only yesterday that my 18-month old is wailing for her milk, and demanding to be carried to sleep.  But now she is telling me that I should not drink too much soft drinks or eat too much chocolate because they are not healthy for me, and that I should sleep earlier if I don't want to be tired in the morning.  

OK, OK, no more of this premature reminiscing.  There is still 15 years to go...


For her 6th birthday, we promised her this:

Not an ordinary mouse.

So, early this morning, I rallied the household to get out of their warm, soft, cosy beds, into the muggy metro of Paris to reach the park at least one hour *before* opening time at 10am.  (I failed, in case you are wondering) 

This way to The Mouse.    

We're annual pass holders now.  Yes, you can borrow them, provided one of you is willing to shave your head bald and the other can do a passable impression of an ecstatic chipmunk.


Now, what is this nonsense about arriving there at some ungodly hour on a weekend, you may ask.  At least YL did, accompanied by rolling eyes and tired sighs.  He obviously does not understand the STRATEGY.  You see, being the PRODUCTIVE and ORGANISED me, I wanted to avoid all the queuing and waiting and clueless wandering around, especially with two young kids, who will persistently ask "Where is the ride??",  "How much longer?", "I am very tired, Mamma", "Mamma carry!" every 12 seconds (It still happened, by the way).  So I did my research, and armed with my battle plan, our first half hour upon arrival was pure action.  

OK, I'll grab Soph and queue at Dumbo.  YOU go with Ju to pick up our FASTPASS tickets for Peter Pan.  10 metres to the right, there is a toilet.  Change Ju's diapers.  Then we rendezvous here at exactly 1023 hours.  Roger?  GO GO GO!



OK jokes aside (but no, I'm serious about the STRATEGY), yes too much planning does take the fun away from a relaxing outing.  But if you've seen the crowds today, you would have gladly followed me.  It is the last week of the summer school holidays and an unusually sunny day, so there was a good 60-minute wait for all the good rides.  

Just look at the faces of my satisfied companions below...  


I waited 37 years for this...

We made it!!  
The classic Sleeping Beauty Castle (or as the French call it, La Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant) in the background 

Enjoying an ice-cream on Main Street USA

The Birthday Girl had a good time

Utterly impressed by the Mickey-shaped pizza.  She ate everything without us nagging her, and declared it the "best pizza I've ever had!" (It's not.  But thank you Mr. Disney, anyways).

Amusing ourselves while waiting to ride the classic It's a Small World.

Thailand!

China!

Finally, after a 25-minute queue...Dumbo!
Note: It is NOT worth the wait.  This is a standard funfair type of ride.  However, such is the power of Disney that you will gladly queue and ride anything they put up.   

The longest wait we had was to watch the Motors...Action! show.  The sun was relentless, the kids were tired and thirsty, YL was drenched in sweat.  But there is NO CHOICE.  Not when Lightning McQueen is at stake.  

The faces of the mesmerized kids when McQueen finally made his appearance.  Ju was smiling to himself, and pointing it out excitedly to me, and making "Vrroooom vrrooom" noises during the show.   It was worth the wait.


Let's join the Dance Parade!



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sophie!

3 comments:

YOU and ME said...

aawww... sophie does look like a big girl now.. a young lady. no more baby girl..

eileen said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!

But I'm bummed that you didn't like Dumbo. That is one of my family's favorite rides in Disneyland :)

3Fireflies said...

Eileen, maybe we had too high an expectation. It *IS* an extremely popular ride, so maybe we are just jaded people... :P

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...