Sunday, May 14, 2006

What do you think of my style?

I just checked out Wei's blog and was utterly impressed by her honest writings. The initmate confessions and frank style are addictive in a voyeuristic way. But then again, that's the whole point of blogs, isn't it?

Pardon me, Wei, but given that I had known you since....well....since you were a baby, I was surprised that I had absolutely no idea you were so articulate. The grammar and spellings can be better, though - this is constructive criticism from Ah Che here ok...but then again, who cares! Only nerdy me, I guess.

Made me question whether I have been able to convey as much emotion as she had. I had always known that my style of writing is rather formal and somewhat distant - whether that is good or bad - but what do others really think?

So I turned to my only victim and cornered YL into giving me honest feedback during dinner, to which he replied, "err... err... but I don't know how to describe it..." in a small voice and a petrified look. After some convincing and offering him a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card, he gathered his courage, took a deep breath, and started to put into use his years of medical training & counselling patients to cobble together something vague that will satisfy the listener while telling them nothing much at all.

After burning a hole in his face with my stare, I decided that I would open up the verdict to anyone who has been reading my blog. It's always good to get feedback, right? But to be fair (to myself), this blog is more of a descriptive journal rather than a personal diary, so the level of honesty is somewhat compromised. In any case, I will keep rambling...

2 comments:

kruy® said...

thank u Che for ur feedback, much appreciated that. criticism is good, that's the way to improvement. i do care and i valued ur opinion, especially from someone with a certain standard and excellent command of the language :) pls do comment.

hmm so it's the grammar and the spelling yeah.. would u mind to elaborate on that? my vocab is just so limited ;p

to tell u the truth, it's not easy for me to pour it all out. i'm kind of a perfectionist wanted it to be in every way so i spent a long time on composing an article even if it's just ranting, which is silly. i need to train myself to relax and just write it like that, it's not a homework to be graded, it's just a blog!

i have always like the way u write. remember during childhood u hand wrote a "book" about fairies/fantasy world and u drew a pic of a fairy on the cover? i think that's ur 1st writing i've read :)

melliebaby said...

we all have our own styles and i've always liked your narrative way of writing. of course i would say that like me, you probably put a lot of thought into what you blog and this is in no way what i would consider actual "rambling".

when i blog, i actually consider what my readers would think, not only of me but also the characters in my 'story' so i can't just write as i would in my diary (if i had one, that is). you could put it down to being asian.... i mean which of us would voluntarily have a webcam set up in our room broadcasting our most intimate activities to the whole world?

then there's also my hubby who doesn't like being 'publicised' in my blog so i had to go and remove all references to his name and change it to the word 'Hubby'.

there's no 1 true or correct way to blog so whatever suits your fancy goes. it is after all your blog. i find that some days i may be more lackadaisical about grammar and all that and some days i'm extra careful about formatting and stuff so much so that i end up publishing my entries half a dozen times before i'm satisfied.

also, i'm sure u have an inkling of who are your most avid readers and so you'd probably tweak the content to give them what they're looking for, which in your case, would be frequent updates of sophie and the what you've all been up to in london.

so there you go... my verdict! i've written much more here than i have in my blog for months. hmm.... feeling guilty now.

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...