When I step into the one of the biggest department stores in Paris, Printemps, I feel at home. Why? Because every other face I see are East Asians. They could be Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Hong Kongers, etc, but I'm going to bet you that they are likely Chinese from the PRC.
The main doors into the store had stickers advertising opening and closing times and tax refund services - in Chinese. I am not even sure there was an English sign.
When you ruffle through a stack of store map pamphlets, and find a big chunk of the Chinese version with no English version in sight, you know what language their biggest customer demographic speak.
There was a queue to go into the Chanel store. Yes, they are East Asians.
The three tax refund services found on 3 different floors had desks manned by East Asians. (I know because I visited each floor to apply for the store credit/discount card. The first customer service rep said they have "no more cards". What the h*ll?? Refusing to believe that Printemps could run out of the store cards, I went in search of someone else who knows what they are talking about. Of course I was right.)
I was told that the sales staff at LV and other big-name stores who speak Mandarin are given a higher commission rate.
Perhaps I should start learning Mandarin instead of French while I'm here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Japan in Summer
By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...
-
Here is the long-awaited sequel to the "Only in France" post: - When learning how to count in French, it is best to simply skip...
-
We moved into our very own apartment over 4 months ago, and since then it has been messy, messy, messy, then busy, busy, busy, then lazy, la...
-
After my irrefutable conclusion at the Tate Modern in London that modern art is cr*p , we decided to give it another go, and see if the Fre...
No comments:
Post a Comment