- One of it came to surface today when Sophie was invited to a
playdate at a fellow Malaysian family's place. The first time Sophie was
invited to a birthday party a few months ago, I took her to her classmate's
house, expecting some tete-a-tete with other mothers while the children
played in some other corner of the house. I showed up at the apartment,
the parent opened the door with a smile, took my child from me, said "You
can pick her up at 5pm", and then closed the door on me. I did not
even literally step into the apartment. I left with a head full of
question marks, half of which is related to what I am going to do for the next
4 hours. I spent it in the nearby pharmacy. Needless to say, I was
starting to worry the sales ladies there, but I did leave with many potions and
bottles of things I will need in the next 12 months, so I hope that made up for
it.
The next time Sophie was invited to another party, we showed up,
produced the child, and left immediately. No more skulking around,
wondering if we'd be asked inside for a rest or a chat. Same thing
happened when we invited her friend to our place for a playdate.
So today, with the same expectations in mind, I sent her to her
Malaysian classmate's house, left some instructions, and then proceeded to
leave. But the parents protested, invited me to sit for a while, and then
plied me with keropok (deep fried prawn crackers), rojak (Malaysian fruit salad), durian,
ice-cream, hot sweet teh (tea), relaxed conversation, and I
passed more than 3 hours without realising it. When I reported it to YL
later, he said, "that's Asian hospitality, lah". Oh
yah, that's what it was. I'd forgotten all about it.
- The French have a sure way to defeat all foreigners who decide
to make France their home. Just look at what they make you do when taking
photos for official documents, e.g. passports, driving licenses, medical cards,
etc. It is FORBIDDEN to smile or even reveal a sliver of your teeth in
these photos. Those ubiquitous photo booths you find in every metro
station which Parisians use to take such photos gives very specific
instructions that you DO NOT smile in your picture. There are many sample
photos of smiling people with a big red X over
their faces so you cannot claim that you did not understand those instructions
in French. Heck, you are even given the chance to take three versions of
your photo and then choose the most un-smiling one because smiling is a crime
here.
So even the most dreamy, delighted French-wannabe is reduced to a
miserable, wretched, pursed-lipped, fugitive in their official papers.
Have you ever wondered what we would look like as terrorists? Or if
we were possessed by aliens? Or if we were a family of undead zombies?
Wanna look at our French identification papers?
- French is supposed to be a beautiful language, and the people
who speak them, charming, cultured and classy. But somewhere there is a
gross misconception, because the French also routinely makes juvenile
unbecoming faces and sounds in their daily speech. They voice their
indignation with pfffhh, they roll their eyes and shrug
their shoulders, they twitch their lips into exaggerated angles, and -
what I find most disconcerting - blow loud raspberries with very distinct
vibrating pouty lips, accompanied by a spray of saliva. Sometimes they
also make sounds that can be best described as someone farting. These are
well-coiffed, well-dressed, professional men and women. I cannot
deal with these incongruent images. But the next time I make farting
sounds or spray you with my saliva when we chat, please do not despise me.
This video proves that I am not making this up...
6 comments:
Hey jo, regarding your last paragraphs:
- Yes i agree absolutely,
- Yes i've been here >6 mths and i've started the rasp saliva thing.
- i do the bluurp and the bleeepp thing to show "oh well"...
- in fact i tried to slice a pear like the locals and a piece when flying into someone's else plate.. no.. not anyone i know!!
- then i think back to what we face back home... and when i go to Korea.. and when i go to Mexico.. and when i go to China...
- It's always hard to compare to home.. after all it's home. As it is home to the people we visit. :)
jo, the video made me laugh like lunatics. good thing the boy has left to work. on the other hand, maybe i should show this to him later this evening, hehehe...
Hi,
I'm a fellow Malaysian too and I'm loving this post. It is so true that they do this "face fart" so often that me and my son are doing it as well without realising.
Regards,
Sylvia
That was hilarious!! I guess you must be kinda looking forward to returning to this part of the world where hospitality is gold.
I stumbled on your blog through a link from another blog, I travel to Paris frequently for work and thought your last point was funny.
But the no-smiling rule - that happens in Malaysia too, doesn't it? When I sat for my last IC picture back in M'sia the lady said I couldn't show my teeth, hair had to be swept away just right... made for the most painful IC picture ever. I think it's starting to become a global thing for Identification.
Also the point on hospitality... how can you blame that on French culture, if all the differing treatments came from Malaysian families?
I think taking the kids and giving mom some 'time off' is absolutely a form of hospitality in itself, that was nice of your friends to do that for you.
Hope you start having some more positive experiences! :)
Another hilarious post! You made a lot of good observations and described them in a funny way. Thanks for the laugh. I checked the photo on my carte de séjour and I was actually smiling, the machine I used in the prefecture didn't say I should not smile I guess. Maybe each city has its own rule.
Post a Comment