Monday, March 26, 2012

Thou Shall Not Steal....

....especially in the House of God. 

About a month ago, on one of our routine weekend jaunts around town, I was pick-pocketed, very likely inside the Notre Dame church.  I had no idea it happened, but when I looked for my wallet sometime after leaving the church, it was gone.  And with that, I lost my identity cards, bank cards and driving licenses in 3 countries.  (yes yes, too late to tell me now that I should not have put all my foreign identification cards in my wallet)  I made my first police report, and it was in French.  

So the photos below are brought to you at a great price...enjoy.  

View of the Seine River, Eiffel Tower in the background, from the Pont Neuf.
Holding tight

I have seen quite a few stained glass windows, and the ones in the Notre Dame are one of the best.


View of Paris from the top of the Notre Dame.  We queued for half an hour and then climbed 387 steps up to the top of the church to see this.  It was worth it.
It was also worth the climb to see these fantastic grotesque creatures hanging around the rooftop.

These gargoyles are near the church bells famously depicted in Victor Hugo's novel, Hunchback of the Notre Dame.

4 comments:

Lil said...

yeah, unfortunately pickpocketing is a problem at crowded (touristy) places. and i've seen them in action - they are FAST! blink and they are gone...

i agree the view from atop notre dame is amazing. a bit windy up there though...

YOU and ME said...

Juju's smile is so cute with his dimples just below his eyes. hehe. And Sophie looks so much like you in the second photo.. :)

Anonymous said...

you "donated" to the needy. next time when you don't want to feel so generous, just bring a photocopy of your identifications with you. it's a lot more "pleasurable" to visit the station to prove your originals than to report them lost. that's what i did during my year in HK.

Mamapumpkin said...

I've been to the Notre Dame twice but still never got to go up as it was always under renovation despite my visits being almost 10 years apart! I miss Paris and we will come visit soon, maybe next year? Will you still be there?

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...