Saturday, August 11, 2012

We're back and we're brown!

We're back from our 2-week vacation in the sunny south of France, and I have 1,500 photos to sort through.  Suffice to say that we did A LOT in that fortnight.  

My French colleagues take 3 weeks off to stay in a rented apartment somewhere in the south, probably near a beach, and then do nothing except to pay leisurely visits to the local morning markets, get a tan in the beach in the afternoon, and go for relaxing dinners by the quay in the evenings.  Rest assured, however, that the Asian productivity ethics ingrained in our DNAs will never allow us from doing the same.  We start to feel guilty when we catch ourselves day-dreaming in the middle of a "vacation".  

So instead, we cheered on a bull race in a Roman amphitheater, marveled with awe and fright at show in the sky at the annual Cannes international fireworks competition, learned about Roman aqueducts at a UNESCO World Heritage Site, pedaled furiously in a boat to explore a 700m-deep gorge, caught the opera Turandot in an ancient Roman theatre, searched furtively for lavender fields, listened to a lecture (in French, nonetheless!) on harvesting jasmine flowers for perfume distilleries, and ogled at expensive sports cars in Monaco.

I will be back with more details, but meanwhile, here's a couple of photos to whet your appetite.


We missed the lavender season, so this balding, sparse field was all we got from our trip down south.

Seeking respite from the heat next to the port of St Jean Cap Ferrat, a seaside resort for the rich-and-famous.

1 comment:

Nyonya said...

I can't wait to see you adventure..always full of surprises. Have fun!

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...