Sunday, March 04, 2007

Gong Hei Fatt Choy!

Our first year of celebrating Chinese New Year in London (and without Sophie) went remarkably well. For the reunion dinner, we had the whole gang - both YL's and mine - over for the now-famous YL steamboat dinner. Over fishballs, prawns, chicken, kangkung, and a soon-to-be classic episode of Top Gear, we bantered and exchanged news and laughed to usher in the New Year. A quick game of Train to Ride, and a boisterous game of guys-vs-gals' Cranium rounded up the evening. Oh yes, we also threw in a belated Christmas party with Christmas crackers and tunes, courtesy of a heavily discounted Christmas cracker set I found at Blackwell's a few weeks earlier. We finally called it a night at 2am. I don't think I've stayed up that late for a long, long time.

The winners!! YAAY!!


Losers...boooo! (but why do they still look so happy??)

The next day - the first day of the Lunar New Year - YL and I kept up with tradition and went visiting. All the way to Cardiff. I slept throughout the entire 3-hour train ride there, and the also on the return journey back to London (late nights do not agree with unfit mothers in their 30's). Alex & Sandra very kindly took us round the town center and Cardiff Bay, a new posh riverside development, and then treated us to lunch at a Chinese restaurant before shuttling us back to their cosy house in the suburbs. After a round of tea/coffee and cakes and (re)viewing Yoke Voon & Peter's wedding photos in Sibu, we said our goodbyes and started our journey back to London at 5:30pm.

Cardiff Bay with Alex & Sandra


All in all, a very tiring but rewarding weekend and New Year. Here's wishing my readers (whoever's left) a very properous New Year and joy throughout!


London's Chinatown during Chinese New Year

No comments:

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...