Friday, November 05, 2010

A Week in Perth

We have been spending time with Yiyi and Yi Cheong (mother's younger sister and brother-in-law in Cantonese) in Perth in the past week or so. Weather was fine on most days, except for a couple of nights where it was necessary for the socks-and-fleece-jackets-under-thick-comforters-in-bed routine. What was certain was the positively blinding sun, and the FLIES.

Flies who are on a suicide mission at every opportunity, aiming directly for every orifice in the face, with the highest honours going to the ones who made it into any open gaps in the mouth. So you end up with a party of 7 otherwise-happy tourists who are desperately trying not to talk to each other, wearing perpetual annoyed frowns, and violently slapping each other to get rid of those pests.

Perth is a mini Malaysia 'round every corner. Malaysian faces, Malaysian food, Malaysian accents, Malaysian names. In my past experience of living overseas, I am stopped in my tracks when I hear these familiar accents, or see a Malaysian restaurant. Here, I have slowly become immune because they are simply everywhere. I guess it's the best of both worlds, being far and yet near home.

A group shot in Kings' Park
Against Swan River

A rare family photo

Taking a break from searching for treasures

The ice princess finally smiles...

A boy with his stick

3 comments:

kruy® said...

lovely pics under the sun :-)

Evelyn says said...

Despite the flies, I still miss Aussiee!!!! :(

Choo-er said...

the photos are so nice :)

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...