Monday, November 22, 2010

The Chinese are taking over!

Watch out - if you haven't heard already - the People's Republic of China is surely taking over the world!!

Everyday I see more concrete evidence of this. They have overtaken the food courts in Singapore, the spas in Malaysia, the shopping malls in Hong Kong, and the hotels in Paris.

I flew 10,000 km to Paris today, bracing myself for the usual language barrier and readied the few paltry French words I know when I arrived at the hotel to check-in. Lo and behold, I'm greeted by a young pleasant Chinese lady behind the reception counter, who enquired immediately if I spoke Mandarin. So I checked into my room in La Defense, the heart of the Paris business district, in Mandarin.

Minutes later, when I stepped out of the lift on the floor where my room is, I was assailed by sounds of Mandarin wafting through the corridors. A group of Chinese businessmen and businesswomen appeared soon after, discussing their negotiations strategy at a meeting that will take place later.

Be prepared. Don't say I didn't warn you.

2 comments:

eileen said...

Then I am doomed, because I do not speak Mandarin!

Choo-er said...

I'm in the same boat Eileen :(

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...