Friday, September 21, 2007

I'm down

I'm down today.

It's a Friday, and Sis is arriving in 2 days, after which we will be having a grand old time touring London & Paris together with Popo & Sophie, but I'm still down.

I usually gruffly dismiss Popo's laments that Sophie is so cham - Cantonese for miserable and pitiful - when we leave her at the nursery. But this morning Sophie was especially distressed. She was literally screaming, bawling and kicking. She had never ever grabbed me so hard, and clung on to me with superbaby powers. She pleaded with her eyes and voice between sobs..."Mama, seak seak! Mama, seak seak!" (Cantonese word which we use at home to mean roughly 'love'). How can my heart not be submerged into the depths of the ocean like lead, and then be shattered into a thousand unidentifiable pieces? But is there an alternative? NO.

I have to be tough, and so does she, because there is no other way. We just have to make up for it when we are together: hug each other closer and tighter, laugh heartier and louder, talk more and longer, and play harder and sillier.

5 comments:

eileen said...

Be strong. It will get better. Soon she will learn to like school. And the times that you do spend together will be very sweet.

melliebaby said...

As mums, our hearts bleed deeper when our babies cry, and knowing this, they definitely exploit the fact. But if God didn't create us that way, who'd be there to dry the tears, kiss the bruises and hold them to our bosoms as only mothers can?
I'm so not looking forward to the separation anxiety when it starts.

Mamapumpkin said...

Do the childcare people tell you that she is actually OK moments after you leave? Cuz I've seen that happen so many times. A lot of kids are just acting up to get pity from their parents but after 5 minutes, they stop crying and just get on with it.

You're doing a great job, Mama. And we all know that you seak Sophie, and she knows it too. Tee also always asks me, Mummy...do you love me? As though I have done something that has reinforced her insecurity of my love. But I know she just likes hearing it over & over.

Sophie knows you love her...but the smart cookie wants more, who doesn't? Might as well try and try cuz you never know when you can get your way and Mummy will give in...hehe...

kruy® said...

be strong...

Our Sweetie Joshua & Matthew said...

I feel your pain. It's still happening to me when I leave Josh at dayhome twice a week every time since Feb until now. He would start crying once we walked inside. But he stops right after I leave the dayhome (I stood by the door to listen on couple occasions). Be strong, and don't worry. Just tell her that you love her and will pick her up in the afternoon. They're smart cookies... they know which buttom to push in order to get what they want!!

Japan in Summer

By now, I have travelled to Japan 3 times, which puts it in the leading position on par with China as the country that I have visited the mo...